Tuesday, March 24

Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent

A couple years ago I decided to make my own homemade laundry detergent.
I did a lot of research and weighed the cost per load against the leading brands and also discovered the leading brands have lots of added chemicals and fillers.
For cost comparison please go to:  Homemade Laundry Detergent.
I’m still making my own laundry soap and it's still working wonderful for me. 
It’s just that I have always used liquid detergent so when I started making my own I of course made the homemade liquid kind.

A few months ago while talking to a neighbor about homemade detergent, she stated she does make homemade, but is just too lazy to make liquid.  Hmmmm……
What exactly did she mean?  Well back to Google and a little more research.  Seems she is right, powder is much easier to make!
Following is the new recipe I use for making detergent.  I still get the same great results and the powder form lasts us around 2 months.  I have four adults in my house, even one who works construction. And did I mention I live on a small farm with way too many animals? 
Believe me, if it works for me it will work for you.
You do not have to add the Purex Crystals but it does make the detergent smell good as well as your clothes.  I have homemade fabric softener on my list to make this Spring so will post about that endeavor when done.
One other thing I have always done whether using brand name or homemade detergent:  I fill the washer about a 1/3 full before adding the laundry soap.  This gives the detergent a better chance of dissolving and mixing with the water before adding clothes.

Ingredients for laundry soap powder 

This recipe makes a large amount! so make sure to have a big enough container.  I found my glass container for about $10.00 at Wal-mart.

What You Need:
1 Box of Super Washing Soda (3 lbs. 7 oz.)
1 Box of Borax (4 lbs 12 oz.)
1 Box of Pure Baking Soda (4 lbs.)
3 bars of Fels-Naptha (5.5 oz.)*
1 container of Oxy-Clean (1.3 lbs)*
Purex Crystals (28 oz.)* Optional
Mixing Bowl
Storage Container

Mixing:
Finely grate the Fels-Naptha soap.  You can use a grater or food processor.  If using a food processor just make sure to rinse all the soap out of it before using to chop food.


In a bowl mix all the ingredients together.  Store in a large container.
Use approximately ¼ cup for a medium load and approximately ½ cup for large load.
I use the little blue cup that came in the Oxy Clean for measuring.

Mix all the ingredients together

*For the bars of soap you can also try Ivory, Zote or Dr.  Bronner’s Pure Castille Bar Soap.  The Castille soap is of good quality, but what’s great is it’s available in lavender, peppermint, almond, tea tree and other scents.

*Other brands of fabric softener crystals can be substituted for the Purex Crystals such as Downy Unstoppables or leave the crystals out and use your favorite fabric softener.  

Store in a large covered container

*I purchase the large container of Oxy Clean because it’s cheaper per ounce.  Just measure out the 1 pound, 3 ounces which equals approximately 2 to 2 -1/3 cups.  (1 cup equals 8 ounces)
Spring has arrived and we have had a few really nice days to work outside.  Yea Spring!
This week I’m boiling sap down for Maple Syrup but in the coming weeks I hope to get the barn cleaned out and then start on the garden and flower beds.
I will definitely have lots of dirty work clothes!

Elizabeth


Other Posts:


Liquid Homemade Laundry Soap

Scrapbooking A Cookbook

Building Pantry Shelves









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats what I use, my Grandmother makes it for me. Isaiah Burish

Anonymous said...

Thats what I use, my Grandmother makes it for me. Isaiah Burish

Anonymous said...

We use this same recipe but without the fabric softener. Works great for us!

sudspharm said...

This recipe seems like the right one for incorporating my own handcrafted soap bars into laundry soap and get personally scented clothes. I prefer a powder to a liquid. Let's see how the high efficiency washer handles my suds ;-)
Thanks a bunch for posting it!

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Sudspham: You're welcome. Adding homemade soap, what a wonderful idea! Making bars of soap is on my to do list, along with my own fabric softener. I have tried liquid and it works but powder is so much easier to make.
Elizabeth