Wednesday, May 27

Wire Garden Orb

I have an older wire orb on a stick I've had for years.  It started out painted a pretty lime green color I believe but all the paint has faded and now it’s just a drab rusted looking orb.

I am in love with Alliums, which is a perennial bulb that comes up in the spring and has a huge purplish or pinkish round flower.

Allium is the onion genus and comprises flowering plants and includes the onion, garlic, chives, scallion, shallot, and the leek as well as hundreds of wild species.
The majority of Allium species are mostly native to Asia but a few are native to Africa and Central and South America

The Allium I have in my flower gardens and that are most commonly used as ornamental flowers include A. cristophii and A. giganteum.   These are used as border plants because of their beautiful orb shape flowers.



Allium in bloom

Making a Wire Orb:
Making the wire orb is relatively easy.  Wad up a ball of newspaper or if you’re careful and won’t burst it, you can use a small balloon.

Wrap regular or copper wire around and around the newspaper ball or balloon.  Intertwine a wire or two through the rest of the wire to hold it all together.  You can also add beads to the wire as you wrap it.
When you have the desired thickness, remove the newspaper ball or balloon.  Wire the orb onto a stick then spray paint the desired color. 

You can also use chicken wire formed into a ball.


Metal paint and glitter

I decided to paint my wire orb to resemble my purplish Allium flower.
I purchased two different shades of purple, light and dark in a Rustoleum metal paint.

I taped off the stake that holds the wire orb so I wouldn’t get any over-spray on it.



Tape off the stake

First I painted the wire orb with the lighter purple spray paint.

1st coat of paint: lite purple

Then I randomly spot painted the orb with the darker purple paint.   

Spot painted with a darker purple

Last I added a few dots of silver glitter to make it sparkle when sunlight hits it.

Dots of glitter to reflex the sun and sparkle


Here is my wire orb repainted and back in the flower garden near the patio.

 

I have many summer projects lined up and garden structures and art I need to touch-up or re-paint completely.  The weather here has been ideal but the recent forecast is for rain and thunderstorms for the next 5 or 6 days. So sadly, I’ll be working indoors cleaning which has been neglected since warm weather hit.

Elizabeth

Other Posts:







8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Very nice colors and photos! Katlyn

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Thanks Katlyn!

Anonymous said...

What a great and looks like easy idea. I'm going to get my husband to make one for me. He's much more crafty but I'll do the painting! Thanks for sharing. Megan

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Thanks Megan. My hubby is not real crafty or mechanically inclined so I have taught myself. Let me know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

Well how cute is this! Thank you for sharing your craft and directions. I want to try them over the winter, will give me a craft to work on! And I'm waiting for your further crafting or gardening posts, thanks once again.

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Thanks!
I really love orb shapes in my garden and this one looks great when finished. And it can be spray painted any color you wish! I hope to do more gardening posts, but I usually forget to take my camera with me when working or building. So I will have to make it more of a habit. The posts I write are a small fraction of things I do, the blog was just an afterthought to share a few of the things I make. I get into a working "zone" and am single focused most times. I will have to be better at writing down more garden projects! Thanks for the motivation!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make these for my garden. I have chickens so of course have chicken wire. How cute. Linda Thompson

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Thanks Linda. The chicken wire is easier to form into the ball form but beads are not as easily added as the wire balls. Good luck!