Thursday, October 1

Candle Lantern Redo and Updating

We like having candles on the table when enjoying our dinner outside on the patio. 
But I also use lantern candle holders when camping by hanging on Shepard’s hooks around the camp site.
The newest ones are battery operated that look and work great and not messy with melted wax. 
Recently I found an old lantern in a thrift store that was designed to hold a pillar candle. 
I thought I could revamp it with little effort and besides, it was 50% off!

Once home the lantern had to be washed and scrubbed. Because the top opens up, I was able to remove all the glass panes, including the pane that had the price written on it in crayon.



The bottom of the lantern is also removable for easy candle installation. I removed the bottom and then used pliers to remove the small attachment that is suppose to hold a pillar candle.




I will be using a battery operated candle instead, so will need a larger flat surface. 
I used a real candle just to make sure the space was going to be large enough for a battery operated candle.



Once the lantern was clean and dry, (and glass panes removed) I took it outside to paint.
I spread out paint blankets and used black metal spray paint. It is best to spray on only one light coat at a time so the paint does not run.


I painted my lantern black because it will match more of my decor, inside and outside.

But you can paint it whatever color you prefer.
For example white like this one for sale at Ikea ($14.99).

I let the paint dry on mine between each coat before spraying additional layers.
Once it was painted and dried, the lantern looks brand new!


I'm using an off white battery operated candle for now but think I will use an orange one for fall and decorate with garland and a red candle for Christmas and add a bow or garland!

Elizabeth  

Store purchased one on the left, updated old one on the right

Candle Lantern on a shepard's hook

Other Posts:







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I never thought of painting those old lanterns! Now I'll be scouring the thrift stores and yard sales! I just happened to stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've really enjoyed browsing your other posts too. I hope you write about another project again soon! ~Jillian Towen

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Thanks Jillian. The old dated lanterns are not easy to find but are a much better quality than the new ones. Good luck!

Anonymous said...


Hey there! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for your excellent idea on redoing old lanterns you have here on this post. I see them quite often at sales but never had the idea to spray paint them! Thanks for sharing. Mike

Elizabeth Ohiothoughts said...

Thanks so much Mike. I am on the prowl for another lantern, they work out great.

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my Aunt! She could take any old thing and redo or remake it into something beautiful. Thanks for sharing