Modern Baby Quilt

I made my granddaughter Kelsey a quilt called "The Mean Green Hulk" for her high school graduation a few years ago. She is now married and was expecting her first baby so I needed to make her a baby quilt. 

Kelsey being a young first-time mommy, I wanted the quilt to be more modern than traditional and made with beautiful bright colors.  

And I decided to make this baby quilt just a little bigger than a normal baby quilt so it could also be used as a lap quilt later on. 


I picked a pattern from the book "Easy Quilts from Precut Fabrics" by Sue Pfau.  The pattern is a variation of the Crossed Square Block and definitely has a more modern feel. 


For fabric colors, I chose yellow, orange, red, teal, gold, cream, and a light taupe. 

Each block uses:

  • 1      2-1/2" x 10-1/2" light fabric strip
  • 4      2-1/2" x  4 -1/2" light fabric rectangles
  • 1      2-1/2" x 10-1/2"  print fabric strip
  • 1      2-1/2" x 2-1/2" matching print fabric square
  • 4      2-1/2" x 2-1/2" matching print fabric rectangles
  • 4      2-1/2" x 2-1/2" dark fabric squares 

To change the blocks from light blocks to dark reverse the fabrics. 


To finish, I used a light yellow and white print fabric for the backing and a teal with multiple color birds for the binding. The topstitch pattern is bubbles. 



The last thing needed to finish the quilt was a Quilt Label.  


Kelsey is a wonderful granddaughter and has shown herself to be a fantastic (and dedicated), mommy. 

She and her husband Austin now live in Alabama, her husband's home state, which is much closer to Ohio than their previous home in Texas.

 


I'm currently working on remodeling my dining room and then will be on to other projects I already have ideas for.  But soon all indoor projects will cease as I once again begin planting my vegetable garden.  I can already taste the garden-fresh tomatoes!

Elizabeth



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!