Cucumbers into Pickles

Easy Homemade Garlic Dill Pickles

I'm always thrilled to find an easy way to make something my family loves.  Pickles were always difficult to get correct because of the whole brine thing.
But now I'm in pickle heaven, with this easy to follow recipe and method.  I have made several batches of pickles since discovering the Ball Kosher Dill Pickle Mix.  I changed the recipe just a little because we like strong dill and garlic flavored pickles like the Deli style Claussen pickle.  The end result is amazing.


What you’ll need:
  • 7 pounds of pickling cucumbers  (about 28 small to medium)
  • 2 1/2 cups vinegar
  • 6 cups of Water
  • 1 package of Ball Kosher Dill Pickle mix
  • Dill weed, if desired
  • Fresh garlic, chopped, if desired
  • Ball pickle crisp granules
  • 4 Quart or 8 pint Canning jars
  • Lids and bands


How to make pickles:

Please read instructions before beginning!

Choose fresh, small, blemish free cucumbers.  Cut the ends off the cucumbers.
Choose fresh unblemished cucumbers
Wash and cut cucumbers into spears, slices or leave whole.Combine water, vinegar and contents of one package of Ball mix in a medium saucepan.
Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.

Pack cucumbers into hot, sterilized canning jars. I put my jars into the water bath canner to keep them hot and to sterilize them, killing two birds with one stone.  I then take one jar out at a time to fill.

If desired, add extra dill and a few pieces of diced garlic.  Adding a little extra dill and garlic will give the pickles a more intense flavor.
Add a 1 teaspoon pickle crisp, there's nothing like firm crisp pickles.

Ladle pickling liquid over the cucumbers, leaving a half inch head space.
Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim.
Apply lids and bands to jars to fingertip tight. 

Finishing

Refrigerator method:
Refrigerate pickles. For added flavor allow pickles to stand in refrigerator for at least 3 weeks.

Canning method:
Place jars in water bath canner.  Cover jars with water.  Bring to a slow rolling boil. Process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes.  Check each jar to make sure they have sealed.

DO NOT tighten down the rings, you may break the seal!

Allow pickles to stand in a cool dark space for 4 to 6 weeks for enhanced flavor.



PRINT THIS RECIPE

Hope you're enjoying the summer,

Elizabeth



2 comments:

  1. These look amazing. I prefer the sour pickles that we use to get from large jar at the corner store in my home town of Columbus, Ohio. Would you know where I could find a recipe for that. Also, I love your Blog!!! I am interested in starting a blog, any suggestions or pointers?

    Thanks, Cynthia Richardson-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia: This recipe does make a pickle like the large glass jar pickles and is somewhat sour. To achieve a more intense sour flavor, I would suggest removing the garlic and adding mustard seeds and peppercorns. Let me know if you try the recipe and how you like the pickles!
    As to writing a blog, oh my. I am not an expert, and am sure there are much better blogs out there. I write about what's going on in around us and hope it's read by others. I write for myself, as a kind of journal, and I have always loved sharing easy ideas when I come across them. Take a look at blogs you like, look over their format and content and then copy ideas from different blogs you like and make them your own. What is it you like to read on blogs, what writing style do you like, what subjects are you interested in? Write about those. My favorite blogs are the people writing about themselves doing things themselves and sharing great ideas I can actually use in my own life. I then try to do the same thing.
    Good luck, and send me a link to your blog. Just do it and have fun. Good luck!
    And thanks for stopping at my blog,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!