Brenda's Sourdough Waffles


It’s Maple Sugaring time again here in Ohio and I have been busy boiling down the sap.  Every year I try out a new recipe to go along with the season and use some of the fresh maple syrup; like pancakes, waffles, maple cake, and even maple cookies.

I have also been baking Sourdough Bread most of this winter. I shared my Sourdough Starter with whoever wanted a start, one of which was my friend Brenda.

Brenda sent me a text that the sourdough starter I gave her makes the best sourdough waffles ever.  She sent me the recipe and I gave it a try.  These are Oh-My-Gosh-Good!  

The waffles turn out light, crisp and flavorful!  And using my homemade Maple Syrup was just the “icing on the cake!”
This is an overnight recipe, meaning the first part needs to sit out overnight and bubble.  

Then first thing in the morning, after having a hot cup of coffee and before everyone else wakes, you mix in the remaining ingredients.
The aroma of the waffles cooking will wake the rest of your sleepy
heads. Start cooking bacon or sausage along with the waffles and everyone will wake at the same time.
This recipe also makes great pancakes. 

Tips:

I use King Arthur Unbleached Flour, it just gives me more consistent results.
I also use butter instead of oil. 
And I use Saco Buttermilk Powder to make the buttermilk. 




Brenda's Sourdough Waffles



Overnight Sponge
2 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sourdough starter, unfed


Waffle (or Pancake) Batter
All of the overnight sponge
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix up the overnight sponge

Directions For The Overnight Sponge:
To make the overnight sponge, stir down your refrigerated Sourdough Starter and remove 1 cup.
In a large mixing bowl or pourable container, stir together the 1 cup sourdough starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight.

Next morning mix together the remaining ingredients and add to the sponge

The Next Morning:
In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, and oil or butter. Add to the overnight sponge.
Add the salt and baking soda and stir to combine. The batter will be bubbly.

Grease waffle iron and fill with batter

Pour batter onto your preheated, greased waffle iron, and bake according to the manufacturer's instructions.  It is key that you spray or grease the waffle iron in between each use so the waffles will not stick.
Serve waffles immediately to ensure crispness. Or you can keep them in a warm oven till your sleepyheads wake up.


Pancakes:
Cook the batter in rounds on a greased griddle or skillet, rather than in a waffle iron.


Freezing:
This recipe makes about 15 medium waffles and they freeze really well. Let them cool completely, put two in a sandwich bag and freeze.  To reheat simply put them in the toaster.

PRINT RECIPE

Leftover waffles freeze well

I hope you enjoy these waffles as much as my family did.  If you need to make the sourdough starter mentioned in this recipe or for a great sourdough bread recipe, take a look at the links I posted below.

Elizabeth



Other Posts:





Homemade Maple Syrup


2 comments:

  1. Hello frоm Idaho! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my lunch break. I really want to attempt to make a sourdough starter and then these waffles! Can't wait to take a look when I get home and print the recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Idaho! These waffles are amazing and you will love them!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!