Strawberry Jam (No Canning Required)

Strawberry Freezer Jam in 30 Minutes

Strawberries are ripe here in central Ohio around the first week in June. 
I started making Strawberry Freezer Jam in the early 1990s and now my kids will not eat (or even like) commercially produced jam. Every year we go to a “Pick Your Own” farm to pick the strawberries fresh. 

When choosing strawberries, homegrown or farm fresh strawberries produce the best jam.  Store purchased lack the intense sweet strawberry flavor. 

I have also made cooked strawberry jam and it’s great for shelf life but there is just no comparison with Strawberry Freezer Jam for flavor. 




This recipe is for the best fresh from the patch strawberry jam.  It’s quick and easy and requires no canning.  I use glass jars for storage but plastic containers will work too.

I "heart" strawberries

It is best NOT to double this recipe.  If you want to make more Strawberry Freezer Jam, start from the beginning and re-measure another batch.  Trying to double this recipe could and does result in the pectin not setting the fruit correctly.

Freshly picked strawberries.  

Strawberry Freezer Jam




Gather The Ingredients!

2 cups crushed strawberries (about 1 quart fully ripe strawberries)
4 cups sugar, measured into a separate bowl
3/4 cup water
Wash the strawberries before starting

Make It!
Clean and sterilize jars or containers. 
Clean strawberries, remove any blemishes or bad spots and discard stems.
Cut berries in half or into quarters.  Crush strawberries, 1 cup at a time with a potato masher or similar tool. (I always leave chunks of berries).


Halve or quarter berries to make them easier to smash


Measure exactly 2 cups of prepared fruit into a large bowl. Try to get all berries and not much juice. Add sugar and mix well. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, mix water and pectin in a small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring for 1 minute.


Add sugar to smash strawberries and let sit for 10 minutes 


Quickly add hot pectin to fruit mixture; stirring for 3 minutes or until most of the sugar is dissolved. A few sugar crystals may remain, but that’s OK.
Fill each container immediately to within 1/2 inch of the top. Wipe off jar edge or top edge of the container and cover with a lid.
Let stand at room temperature for 6 to 12 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Transfer to the freezer for storage.  Thaw in the refrigerator before using.

If you have extra strawberries, they freeze really well.  I always freeze a gallon size bag of chopped strawberries to add to salads, desserts, or ice cream during the winter months. 




Uses:
This jam is so good it's good on everything.  Try it with or on one of these:

  • On Cheesecake
  • On Ice Cream
  • In Yogurt, Smoothies or Milkshakes
  • On Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwich (best ever)
  • On Hot Buttered Biscuit or Toast
  • As a Topping for Roast or Glaze for Chicken
  • In Strawberry Cake
  • Mix into Icing
  • Filling for Crepes
  • Topping for Pancakes and Waffles
  • Use as Dip for Cheese Tray
  • Add to Vinaigrette
  • Stir into Oatmeal 

Whew, this list could be endless!


Summer is right around the corner and with it comes backyard barbecues, bees buzzing around the flower garden and many fresh fruits and vegetables.  I can hardly wait.

Elizabeth

Three of my daughters strawberry picking, about 2005 or 2006 


Other Posts:






I have taken photos every year of me, and my kids in the strawberry patch picking berries.  
My kids are all grown now, so the photos are like a time-lapse.  A bitter-sweet thing for me to look at, which sometimes brings me to tears and causes me to long for the days when they were still little.  

I told them recently that I hope they take their children and their grandchildren berry picking long after I’m gone.

Strawberry picking in the early 1990s
My son is on the far left, my daughter in the green shirt,
and my mother Elinor is on the far right.

With my daughter (right) and son's girlfriend, (left) June 2014




2 comments:

  1. I love strawberries! Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! I have even been putting them in my salad

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!