State Flag Christmas Ornament

Besides our large Christmas tree full of homemade and travel ornaments, every year I put up a smaller tree in my dining room. This tree has evolved and changed themes and decorations somewhat over the years. It started out as a nature tree. Then I started mixing in cardinals (our state bird), which then led me to make the tree a Nature Ohio tree.

I have added buckeyes, cardinals, morel mushrooms, pine cones, bird nests, and various other things that can be found in and around our state.

We started a Crafting Circle and have an ornament exchange with family and friends every year, so I decided to make an Ohio flag as a Christmas ornament. 
 


This ornament can be made in the shape of your own state flag and hung on a sports tree! Or make them larger to use as a decoration in a man cave or family room. Go Team!

Our Ohio flag is unique in that it is the only state flag that is a swallow-tailed burgee. That meant I could not just purchase the traditional flag rectangular shape, I had to cut them out myself.

Wood cut out and holes drilled

But for all other states, you should be able to just pick up a package of pre-cut shapes.
I also drilled very small holes to attach wire or ribbon as an ornament hanger.
Next, I went online and found many photos and clip-art to get an idea of what our flag should look like. 


I used those as guidelines to sketch the lines and shapes on the wood and then to paint the ornaments.






I am not a professional painter so the stars were a little hard.  I decided to use dots on half the ornaments in place of stars. Much easier. 


After painting, I added a ribbon for hanging and a tag with information about our Ohio state flag history. Here is what I included on the tag, but you can add as much or as little information on your state flag tag as you want. 

The Ohio Flag
  • Ohio’s official flag was adopted by an act of the Ohio Legislature on May 9, 1902.
  • Ohio is the only state to have a swallow-tailed burgee.
  • The triangles formed of the Flag represent the hills and valleys as typified in the State Seal.
  • The stripes represent Ohio’s many roads and waterways.
  • Ohio, the seventeenth state admitted to the Union is represented by seventeen stars.
  • The white circle with its red center represents the initial letter of Ohio and is also suggestive of the Buckeye nut.

Ohio Flag Pledge:
“I salute the flag of the state of Ohio and pledge to the Buckeye State respect and loyalty.”




 


Wishing you love, peace, and happiness this Christmas and throughout the New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I really love this idea and it's exactly what I was looking for. Wish I had found it before the holidays! I'm saving the idea for gift giving next year. God Bless. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I really had fun making them. What state are you making? I would love to see them, or are you from my great state of Ohio?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!