Garden Plant Stakes

Easy DIY Garden Plant Stakes
It has been in the single digits here in Ohio, even down to -0- degrees one morning this week.
And the wind chill makes it even worst.

This time of year and this kind of weather makes me long for warm summer days and my garden.

Each year I try to mark my vegetable seed rows with a plant marker so I know where the row is and what's in it.

Here is an inexpensive plant stake that's easy to make.









What you'll need:
  • A few paint stir sticks from your local home improvement store. (These are usually free).
  • The empty seed packet
  • A Ziploc baggie
  • Scotch tape or a thumb tack

Instructions:

Tape the empty seed packet onto paint stick
Place the Ziploc baggie over the seed packet.

Close the baggie as much as possible.   Use tape to secure the baggie to the paint stick.
The baggie can be folded on the side and taped in place to give it a more streamlined look.


Or, lay the seed packet onto the paint stick. Cover with a baggie, then push a thumb tack into baggie and seed packet to secure both to the paint stick.
My friend Heidi suggested laminating the seed packs and fastening them onto the paint stick.  That's a great idea too!
I can't show you how cute this looks in the garden, because it's January and way too cold out, brrrrr

Hoping your gardening is wonderful this year,

Elizabeth


9 comments:

  1. This past summer,I had an excess of plastic wear from cookouts at our house. I did not want to throw them all out, so I reused them.I wrote the name of each plant or seed onto the handle of the silverware. It helped to keep my garden organized, was free and allowed me to recycle. ;-)
    -Sarah C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Sarah I LOVE that idea! I am always looking for new ways to use what I already have (mostly so I won't be called a hoarder, haha) And since it was plastic wear rain and weather wouldn't matter, it would hold up under most conditions. Thanks for the tip.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I'm really loving the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very difficult to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you have done a superb job with this. In addition, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think my blog is constantly improving, I hope it is anyway, and I really appreciate comments, suggestions and other's view point for improving it even more. Thanks for letting me know the blog is loading well and template has visual appeal! Virtual hug to you

      Delete
  4. I've been nosing around your blog for awhile and just couldn't leave this time without saying that I actually love your blog and the tips and information you post. My seeds packets are just in a large bag! The container idea will help organize my seeds better. Thanks and I'll return often to check out new posts. Christian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I had mine shoved down in a large glass jar (as you can see in one of the photos) which meant I had to dump all of them out to find what I was looking for. Glad this post helped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saved as a favorite, I love your web site! Christian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for new ways to make plant I.D. markers. This one is easy and cheap. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!