Debra's Stuffed Peppers

My sister Debra passed away three years ago. Her Birthday is in September so in honor of her I decided to share one of my favorite summer recipes. 

She was a fantastic cook, but didn't write down her recipes, so all were lost when we lost her. Although I did not have a copy of Debra’s recipe,  I created this one to copy the peppers she would bring to our parties and family gatherings.  She used Anaheim peppers which are a little on the hot side.  


About My Sister:
My sister Debra was always kind to me, always took my side, always stuck up for me: I was her little sister.  My sister Debra was funny, a fantastic cook, loved to travel and shared with me all the photos of her and my brother in-law Phil's trips.
She could describe the sunset she saw on a trip and you would wish you could have been there to see it.

Debra and I tailgating an OSU game.
 It was the 1980's, what can I say, don't judge me, ha ha

Her story of their camping trip to Assateague Island and seeing the wild ponies will be forever etched in my memory.  She liked a lot of the same things I like and I’m pretty sure my love of travelling and photography mostly came from her.
We both loved the Buckeye Football team, but she knew all the players by name and jersey number. 

My sister Debra as a teenager
Debra with my daughter and new son.


Debra loved to decorate for Christmas and Halloween and was maybe the only person I know with more Christmas cheer than me.
She camped, hiked, went on trips with me and she showed me how to cook barbecue sauce, among other things.  

My sister and her son Adam just 4 years ago,
in an Indy coffee shop on one of our trips
She also started my passion for homemade salsa.  

There has never been nor will there ever be, anyone who can make potato salad like my sister Debra.
She was always there for baby showers, weddings, graduations; with a card, a gift, a big congratulations and always a hug.
 
I am now and will always miss her.

So this recipe is dedicated to my sister Debra, who would have turned 60 today, September 14th.



Debra's Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:

8 – 10 Hungarian, Banana, Anaheim or similar peppers
1 pound savory sausage (or half sausage/half ground beef)
½ teas Coarse ground black pepper
½ teas Garlic salt
½ teas Italian seasoning
½ teas Oregano
1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup chopped mushrooms
Italian or mozzarella cheese
1 can stewed Italian tomatoes, chopped (Or 1 can dice Italian tomatoes or use fresh).

Garden fresh peppers

Directions:

Wash peppers; Remove stem and top if desired or leave it on, I have done both.

Cut peppers long ways on one side and remove seeds and white membrane. 

Wash and cut peppers (caps or stems do not have to be removed)


Mix together sausage, spices to taste, 3 ounces of cheese, mushrooms, 1/3 of the tomatoes and 1 egg.
I usually add about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of each spice.  If you are allergic to eggs, just leave it out.

Stuff peppers with meat mixture


Stuff peppers with meat mixture.  Place each pepper on a slightly greased cookie sheet. 
Sprinkle chopped tomatoes onto each pepper. Cover top with cheese.


Stuffed peppers, covered with diced tomatoes and cheese, and new potatoes ready to go into the oven.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.





PRINT THIS RECIPE

Sharing Recipes:

Unless you are writing a cookbook, selling the food you are making or opening a restaurant, remember, you can’t take the recipes with you.


I share all my personal and family recipes so others can enjoy them, and hopefully the recipes will live on long after I'm gone.

Elizabeth


4 comments:

  1. This time of year there are always so many more peppers than we can eat. This is a great way to use them and one I hadn't thought of. Like stuffed green bell pepper only better. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And truth be told, I like stuffed banana peppers better than stuffed bell peppers. Stop back again,

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJuly 25, 2015

    Wonderful story about your sister and can't wait to try the recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you like the recipe as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!